Yesterday I went over to a friends place to help them out with a computer program, and I needed a link from my bookmarks. I logged into my Google Chrome User account so I could get at my bookmarks. Well, that’s where the problems started. Seems my friends computer was infected with a malicious virus that infected my User Account somehow.
Now, whenever I open up Chrome at home or any other computer I’ll have two extra tabs open up along side of my usual home page as you can see in the image above. The extra two tabs are a Babylon Search and the other one is searchnu.com/410. These are not extensions, nor are they even located in the search engine management options to remove.
My homepage is still normal and pointing to Google Search as it always has, but now no mater what, when I sync my Chrome user account with any Chrome browser, these two extra tabs are there and no matter what I try, I cannot remove them.
I even searched the Google Chrome Forum to see if any solutions can be found and the only thing I found out was that I wasn’t the only one with this problem and no solutions are being provided by Google Chrome except suggesting to remove the extension, when in fact it isn’t an actual extension. So their suggestions are a waste of time. It’s an infected user account on their end and they don’t seem to want to acknowledge that fact. So I posted a request for help of my own in the forum. “Need Help To Remove Babylon Search and http://www.searchnu.com/410 tabs” basically explaining that these are not extensions and instead an infected user account.
If you are reading this and have a solution, post it here please! And if you’re here because you searched for a solution and landed here I’m sorry, but I too need help. Hopefully somebody has an answer and posted the solution here or in the forum I created.
Thankfully my Computer isn’t infected, and it’s just the user account. If I don’t get it fixed, I’m sorry to say that I will stop using Chrome and go back to Firefox. Because I am not creating a new user account as ALL my Google related sites and applications are tied into that user account.
Please post a solution if you have one. A real one and not some fan-boy snarky one either.
My friend Chris at Scitech suggested something that worked.
Go to chrome://chrome/settings/ and then look under the “On startup” heading. I just X’d the two I didn’t want and problem solved.